State's last tax free holiday arrives August 2, 2013 to August 4, 2013 to help parents and students with back to school purchases. Here is a list of items to watch out for while shopping this weekend.
1) Sneakers, sandals, shoes, shoelaces, slippers, and steel-toed shoes are clothing items, but with a sales price of $100 or less per item, it qualifies for the tax free weekend.
2) Pens and pencils also qualify for the tax free weekend.
3) Notebooks, legal pads, and paper are exempt from tax during the holiday period if the sales price of the item is $100 or less.
4) Life preservers, vests, mouth guards, and goggles are exempt from tax during the holiday period if the sales price of the item is $50 or less.
5) Other brands of paper (loose leaf ruled notebook paper, copy paper, graph paper, tracing paper, manila paper, colored paper, poster board, and construction paper) also qualify.
6) For a packed lunch, lunch boxes qualify for this holiday's tax free weekend!
7) Neckties are also included in the tax free holiday.
8) Printers, printer supplies, personal digital assistants and computer storage media and other computer supplies with a sales price of $250 or less per item qualify.
9) Gloves are another item that fall into the clothing tax free category.
10) Football helmets qualify for the tax free weekend.
11) Underwear, boxers, briefs, and more fall into the tax free holiday.
12) Let's move on to sports equipment. According to the state Department of Revenue, sports or recreation equipment that is $50 or less per item qualifies. That includes baseball gloves.
13) CD's fall into our tax free weekend as well.
14) Computers, including tablet computers and netbooks, with a sales price of $3, 500 or less per item, "fall under the tax free holiday."
15) "The separate sale of a monitor, keyboard, mouse or speakers is subject to the applicable tax when the item is not sold in conjunction with a central processing unit.
16) Diapers can also be purchased tax free this weekend.
17) Falling under the school supplies category, crayons are included into our tax free holiday.
18) It also includes coats, jackets, and wraps - but again, don't forget the $100 or less stipulation.
19) Color pencils also fall under the school supply category.
20) Don't forget glue! Glue and glue sticks are included into the tax free holiday. For the complete list from the NC Department of Revenue, just click here!
*Discloser: I got all the info for this post from WXII12 after I saw the news this morning.